OACTE LOGO

Northwestern Oklahoma State University
NWOSU Picture

Northwestern Oklahoma State University
709 Oklahoma Boulevard
Alva, OK 73717


Control: Public

In 1897, Northwest Territorial Normal School was established at Alva. It was the second normal school in Oklahoma Territory.  From its normal school beginning, Northwestern was expanded into a four-year teachers college in 1919 and was renamed Northwestern State Teachers College.  A fifth-year program in teacher education leading to the degree of master of teaching was begun in the summer of 1954.  The university is recognized for the quality of the teacher education program and graduates.  As a result of this recognition, several foundation and university scholarships are offered in the Teacher Education program.  In 1996, two new campuses were added.  One campus is located in Enid and the other one in Woodward.  Northwestern Oklahoma State University has progressed from a normal school to an institution offering advanced levels of education recognizing and meeting the challenges of an ever changing society.

President: Dr. Janet Cunningham

Chief Academic Officer: Steve L. Lohmann

Unit: Division of Education

Dean or Director: Dr. Beverly Warden, Chair

Telephone: 580-327-8450
Fax: FAX: 580-327-8431
E-Mail: bjwarden@nwosu.edu

OACTE Representative: Dr. Beverly Warden
Alternate OACTE Representative: Christie Riley

Accreditation Status and Programs Offered

Conceptual Framework: Applied Professional Pedagogy Leads to Effective Schools (APPLES)

 

Back to Institutions List

Home

Press releases, information, web links, and news articles on these web pages are not necessarily supported by the OACTE or its members.
Material is presented for the benefit of the reader only and is not intended to be used for any particular purpose.
Send e-mail to rwstewart@opsu.edu, webmaster, with questions or comments about this web site.
Date last updated: September 23, 2014

 

September 23, 2014