Supporting Oklahoma’s Children
OACTE believes that all Oklahoma children deserve an effective teacher in their classrooms and knows that educator preparedness matters for children.
- OACTE members offer coursework available at nineteen universities to support teachers in the areas of classroom management, pedagogy, and other classroom skills. This chart provides course names and formats and was developed in support of the Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- Members of OACTE authored an empirically-based white paper which outlines the problems facing Oklahoma today regarding emergency certified teachers, provides evidence that new teachers who complete a TEP are significantly more effective, and offers solutions that will pay off for Oklahoma children. Click here for the full report: The Value of Comprehensive, University-Based Teacher Education Programs (TEPs) for Oklahoma Children or here for a one-page summary.
- The University of Tulsa hosted the Oklahoma Teacher Pipeline Summit featuring OK State Representative John Waldron on August 12, 2019. Read all about this successful event in the Tulsa World or view coverage from KTUL and KOTV. Also see AACTE’s Ed Prep Matters article about the event.
- Immediate Past President of OACTE, Dr. Robin Fuxa, published an op-ed in the Daily Oklahoman entitled Point of View: Teacher Preparation Matters.
AACTE’s Washington Week
OACTE is a proud participant in AACTE’s Washington Week, held each June in the nation’s capital.
- Day on the Hill – The signature component of Washington Week, Day on the Hill provides AACTE members an opportunity to meet with their representatives as well as the latest information on education policy from Capitol Hill. The event includes training and resources for members to conduct meetings with congressional offices, where they can showcase their successful programs and advocate for relevant legislation or funding.
- State Leaders Institute – Offered to current leaders of AACTE’s state chapters, this program is the forum to discuss important trends in state policies related to educator preparation. Attendees interact with other leaders from across the United States, learning strategies and collaborating to increase their state chapters’ capacity and advocate for the profession.
Advisory Council of State Representatives (ACSR)
Dr. Robin Fuxa (OSU) serves as Oklahoma’s representative to ACSR, a collaborative network of leaders from the 45 state chapters of AACTE designed to offer state-level perspectives in AACTE activities.